/Canada Social Security Agreements

Canada Social Security Agreements

Meeting these minimum contribution requirements is generally not difficult if you have lived in Canada all your life. It is much more difficult when you have moved to or from another country in your lifetime. In the absence of a social security agreement between these countries, citizens may not be entitled to benefits from one or two of these countries. Ken – My expertise does not imply an in-depth knowledge of the various agreements, but I think the Canada-U.S. agreement only counts U.S. contribution periods (not just U.S. stays) as periods of stay in Canada for oEA purposes. Here is a link with more details: www.esdc.gc.ca/en/cpp/international/unitedstates.page. A social security agreement is a favourable agreement between Canada and another country. It coordinates public pensions for people who have lived or worked in both countries. Therefore, if you have lived or worked in a country with which Canada has an agreement, you may be able to get one or both: will try to ask the question as easily as possible.

Although I was not born in Canada, my wife became a Canadian citizen when she was a child. We got married in Canada in 1985 (her age was 28) She had already worked shortly before 18. We lived in Canada for another three years and then moved to the United States for about 3 years. Moving to Canada for about 5 years. Then, in 1993, we returned permanently to the United States, where we eventually became American citizens. Is she entitled to the Canadian OAS and, if so, would it have an impact on her U.S. social security? I`ve tried to do some research, but I seem to find contradictory answers. My case is as follows: worked ten years in Romania between 1990 and 2000, lived and worked for six years in Canada (all taxes paid), from 2001 to 2006, then returned to Romania to be with my aging parents, where I have been living and working ever since…

By |2021-09-13T17:46:35+00:00September 13th, 2021|Uncategorized|0 Comments

About the Author: